- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups white rice, soaked in water for 15 minutes and then drained
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 2 large pinches of Spanish saffron threads
- 1 Schwartz Spanish Paella shots
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 kg. medium to large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/4 kg. clams or mussels
- 1/4 kg. medium squid (cut into rings)
- Salt and pepper
- fresh parsley and 2 hard-boiled eggs to garnish
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil. Turn the heat to medium-high and add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes then add the rice, cook for 3 more minutes, stirring regularly. Pour in chicken broth, continue stirring.
- Stir in paella shots and saffron threads. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, green peas and red bell pepper. Bring to a boil and let the liquid slightly reduce, then cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- On a separate skillet, sauté shrimp, squid and clams. Season with salt and pepper. Wait until shrimps turn pink and or clams start to open. Set aside.
- Spread the shrimp, clams and squid over the rice, pushing it into the rice. Garnish with parsley and hard-boiled eggs.
- Serve and enjoy!
For this dish, I used jasmine rice. Ideally, short grain rice is much preferred.
Paella Shots is a great alternative for cayenne and paprika (if these are not available in your local grocery stores).
I would love to hear from you! 🙂